Happy 18th Birthday Lil' Sis
Lindy was born just a few years after I had totally given up hope of having a sister of my own. When she was a baby, it was like having my own personal “Baby Alive” doll. I dressed her and fed her and yes even occasionally changed her diaper. It was so fun to hold such a cute little baby and I loved that baby very dearly.
As Lindy toddled into toddler-hood she became fun in a different sort of way. We would get her to say grown-up things and perform little jokes. This was hilarious because she had no idea what she was saying and why people were laughing but she just ate up the attention. She was our ever cute little girl who did party tricks.
When she grew a little older, she became the perfect kid to pal around with. When I ran errands for Mom, Lindy came as my buddy. At the time we had an 11-seater van and while I drove, she insisted on sitting in the very back seat. One memorable occasion, she thought it would be fun to play hide-and-seek. Before I knew what had happened, both my eyes were covered and I could no longer see the road ahead. I was screaming “Lindy, let go, let go!” She was giggling. She finally let go and just as she did, a bird hit the windshield with a thud. This scared both of us silly and she never attempted to play hide-and-seek in the car with me again.
When I was getting ready to leave for college, she literally wept when I talked about going. We were sharing a bed at the time and I think we were both a little afraid of growing up. As mean as it may seem, sometimes I would bring up the subject of college, just to see how she would react. As she sobbed, I would feel horrible and wonderful at the same time because I realized just how much she loved me.
When I got married, it was an exciting day for the both of us. It was a day when we both felt as pretty as a princess. In fact, while everyone else was decorating the church for the reception on the night before the wedding, I was driving to every Wal-mart in the East Valley looking for the perfect white shoes for Lindy to wear with her new lavender dress. One of my favorite wedding pictures is the one with Lindy and I. The photographer told her to put her face close to mine and she did. In the picture, she is totally smashing the side of my face. It is adorable.
Lindy has been an aunt for almost eight years—which is a longer time than she and I lived together as sisters. In fact, she is closer in age to my oldest two kids than she is to me. It has been a lot of fun to watch her enjoy my kids the same way that I enjoyed her. They love her dearly and think the world of her. When they are learning anything new, they want to know if Lindy can do it. For her nieces and nephew, she is old enough to look up to and still young enough that they think everything she does is cool.
As Lindy has grown through her adolescence, our relationship has changed. The years between us have started to shrink. It has been so much fun watching her blossom into a beautiful woman. It has been wonderful to watch her sing, to hear her play the piano, to see or even help her get ready for a dance or a date. I always say that having Lindy has kept Mom and Dad from aging. And truthfully it does the same thing for me. I have so much fun watching Lindy have fun.
Lindy is the sister I wanted so badly to have but now she has become the dear friend I can’t imagine living without. I love chatting with her and talking about life and I am grateful for her loving support and willingness to lend an ear and also a helping hand as good friends do. I can tell her anything and I am grateful for the heart-to-heart conversations we have had and the many which we will have over this lifetime and the next.
As Lindy toddled into toddler-hood she became fun in a different sort of way. We would get her to say grown-up things and perform little jokes. This was hilarious because she had no idea what she was saying and why people were laughing but she just ate up the attention. She was our ever cute little girl who did party tricks.
When she grew a little older, she became the perfect kid to pal around with. When I ran errands for Mom, Lindy came as my buddy. At the time we had an 11-seater van and while I drove, she insisted on sitting in the very back seat. One memorable occasion, she thought it would be fun to play hide-and-seek. Before I knew what had happened, both my eyes were covered and I could no longer see the road ahead. I was screaming “Lindy, let go, let go!” She was giggling. She finally let go and just as she did, a bird hit the windshield with a thud. This scared both of us silly and she never attempted to play hide-and-seek in the car with me again.
When I was getting ready to leave for college, she literally wept when I talked about going. We were sharing a bed at the time and I think we were both a little afraid of growing up. As mean as it may seem, sometimes I would bring up the subject of college, just to see how she would react. As she sobbed, I would feel horrible and wonderful at the same time because I realized just how much she loved me.
When I got married, it was an exciting day for the both of us. It was a day when we both felt as pretty as a princess. In fact, while everyone else was decorating the church for the reception on the night before the wedding, I was driving to every Wal-mart in the East Valley looking for the perfect white shoes for Lindy to wear with her new lavender dress. One of my favorite wedding pictures is the one with Lindy and I. The photographer told her to put her face close to mine and she did. In the picture, she is totally smashing the side of my face. It is adorable.
Lindy has been an aunt for almost eight years—which is a longer time than she and I lived together as sisters. In fact, she is closer in age to my oldest two kids than she is to me. It has been a lot of fun to watch her enjoy my kids the same way that I enjoyed her. They love her dearly and think the world of her. When they are learning anything new, they want to know if Lindy can do it. For her nieces and nephew, she is old enough to look up to and still young enough that they think everything she does is cool.
As Lindy has grown through her adolescence, our relationship has changed. The years between us have started to shrink. It has been so much fun watching her blossom into a beautiful woman. It has been wonderful to watch her sing, to hear her play the piano, to see or even help her get ready for a dance or a date. I always say that having Lindy has kept Mom and Dad from aging. And truthfully it does the same thing for me. I have so much fun watching Lindy have fun.
Lindy is the sister I wanted so badly to have but now she has become the dear friend I can’t imagine living without. I love chatting with her and talking about life and I am grateful for her loving support and willingness to lend an ear and also a helping hand as good friends do. I can tell her anything and I am grateful for the heart-to-heart conversations we have had and the many which we will have over this lifetime and the next.
I remember a little about Lindy when she was in 8th grade and I was in 7th, she was so nice.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you started a blog!!